Sunday, October 16, 2011

Why I bow and why you don't have to.


Ok so I don't expect you to bow to me if you are not a martial artist but I will always give a slight bow even if I am just meeting you. Its something that i've been doing since Taekwondo in my childhood years. In my mind its a sign of respect and humility. I am a gentle hearted warrior and I choose to offer myself first as a human being with compassion and respect. There have been few times i've not offered a bow upon greeting and usually those aren't good times. I also have the belief that anyone that trains like a warrior should receive due respect before and after competition. Many of the new breed of fighters especially those coming into MMA have a background in boxing or maybe wrestling, they traditionally don't bow so I don't expect them to.
In Zen Buddhism the practitioners bow 1080 times throughout a day. Though it is commonly used in Asia bowing isn't restricted to Asian countries. Bowing has traditionally been a part of European culture as a symbol of respect or gratitude. In the Christian, Jewish, Hindu, and Islamic religions bowing is a commonly used show of acknowledgment of faith. I don't expect everyone to bow but if you think it's ridiculous that others do it or have the nerve to say ignorant things like "we're not in China", look around you as there may be more people showing you respect than you're showing them. Peace and Blessings all(yes i'm bowing right now).
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

No comments:

Post a Comment