Sunday, October 2, 2011

Roadwork; RUN...RUN...RUN


There's no substitute for running. The image on the right could be your best friend if you're doing it effectively or your worst enemy if you're neglecting it. I am always amazed at those people that train for fights that don't run yet complain when the fights over that they "gassed out". Usually going into the fight there is this amazing surge of adrenaline that courses through the blood stream offering you an incredible boost to your energy level. Funny thing about adrenaline and oxygen though, they are not friends. For new fighters going in, this adrenaline surge could really be a problem as it seems to push you to go harder which at the same time burns your oxygen faster. trying to find a balance between the two is paramount when someone is trying to take your head off. You'll get cardio everywhere when training but in my experience nothing beats good old fashioned running.
In my second fight I still didn't have a trainer and hadn't really figured out training yet but I had won my first fight on adrenaline and speed which I thought would get me through every time. I was wrong. I ran into my opponent prior to the fight, I knew him from a previous event and he asked if I had been training, I gave a shit eating grin and replied "a little", thinking this is gonna be a breeze. Before the fight started I noticed that my opponent who once looked a little chubby to me had gotten ripped and looked to be in impressive shape making me a little nervous but again I thought I have some natural ability that he can't match. Ding! The fight starts and I come out swinging immediately threw a punch directly to his stomach with everything I had. He shrugged it off. I moved around and landed a few more strikes that I thought would slow him down but not a chance. I spent the rest of the round taking random punches and kicks and locking him up in a clinch to stop my inevitable beating. When I go to the corner I realize something is wrong, I can't breathe. I say to my friend who I asked to corner me what I should do and he exclaimed "stick and move"... move, yeah right. As the second round started I felt like I was standing in drying concrete. He began to execute his gameplan at will. A variety of punches and kicks had me looking like a pinball. I got stuck in the corner towards the end of the round and took a pounding as the bell rang the ref called the fight. Now in retrospect I could probably have beaten my opponent if I would have known the importance of pounding the pavement for some miles before the fight. If you expect to win, you have to do your roadwork.
My suggestion is that at least 3 to 4 times a week you strap on those running shoes and hit the road. Don't run all long distance, you also need to do sprints to simulate how your lungs are gonna feel when you're fighting. Its great to head outside especially if you have some hills in your area but if you're stuck in the gym jump on the treadmill. This is one of those things that no one can really help you with, this one is all you. If you gas during your fight only one place to look and that's the mirror.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

No comments:

Post a Comment