Tuesday, December 13, 2011

She doesn't have to get it, she's your mom!





Hello all, hope you guys are well and enjoying the holidays. I myself am working like a dog. So lets get right down to it. Your mom may enjoy watching violent sports, such as football or hockey, but she will never be completely ok with you getting punched in the face or kicked in the ribs. I believe my mothers words went something like this after finding out about me fighting, "why the hell are you doing that?", followed by a "you're gonna end up like Ali". Now I know that sounds a little rough, however, that's simply how deep a mother loves her kid, even if he's grown. I place the blame entirely on her for putting me in Taekwondo at a young age, even though that was completely my idea. I never got it out of my system. Martial arts is strange like that, once you do it for any length of time, it stays with you forever.
Anyway, mom has since lightened up and become super supportive of me fighting and just generally being involved in something I love and am passionate about. So no, I don't know if she'll ever fully understand why I do what I do but she respects it and me for sticking to it. Don't expect for people to "get it", especially your mom. As long as you are real about honing your skills in and out of the cage/ring/mat it will shine through and you'll receive plenty of support. All that being said, I'm happy to introduce my mom in Bruce Buffers voice as my new editor: And in this corner writing out of St. Louis, Missouri, carrying a record of 40 and 0, the marauder of the midwest, my moooooom Kathy "The Letter Killer" Jooooooooohnsoooooon.!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Somehow my mom never gave me that reaction even though she already knows that when I start something I take it seriously and go for it all the way. Even after she saw my sparring round, she said it didn't bother her at all to see me get hit as long as she saw me hitting back! LOL Well, this is also the same woman that got me sparring gloves for my birthday :-). The support from people you truly care about definitely helps though with motivation, drive and focus because it allows you to fully commit yourself to the sport. And yeah, my mom may not always fully understand either why I do what I do, but I'm glad and blessed that she doesn't need to understand to be fully supportive, and in the end that's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete