Friday, December 16, 2011

"If you ain't tappin', you ain't learnin'"

In view of last weeks brutal submissions of Machida and Noguiera, I think we should discuss tapping. I know competition is different than training, however, I don't know if not tapping is an expression of ego, determination, pride, strength or stupidity. It may be a little of them all and possibly some other attributes. All I know is that I would rather tap in a couple fights, learn from it and improve for my next fight, than not tap and risk a possible career ending injury or not be able to make money for months while recovering. I might even have to agree with "Rampage" Jackson when he says, "man I don't trust anybody", in reference to tapping during a fight. It's true, Rousimar Palhares, Bas Rutten, and now Jon Jones, who let Machida fall like a sack of potatoes as he walked away never looking back to see if his opponent was even alive or Frank Mir, who snapped Tim Silvia's and Nogueira's arms respectively, don't care if you don't tap. There are guys in this sport that will put you to sleep and break you in half or worse if given the chance. The risk is all up to you!

Now, that being said there are a couple guys out there that bend like rubber. Ben Henderson and Dan Hardy have defied the odds when defending submissions or at least hanging on until released from the grip of their respective opponents. When you see arms rotate in positions they shouldn't be in and then seconds later those same arms are throwing punches, it leaves you shaking your head.

All I can say are the words that were repeated to me over and over again. Train hard, learn how to be comfortable in awkward positions, and last but not least, "if you ain't tappin', you ain't learnin'".

The following are some videos from the Nitro tourney a couple years back. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment