Monday, December 26, 2011

Being humble! Kindness or Weakness?

Wow guys, what a year. I want to thank all of my readers for following the blog and also sending me emails and comments. Now let's get down to business. Anyone that knows me also knows that I have a hard time accepting compliments. I just don't think of myself as better than someone else as a person because I was blessed in one way or another. I'm grateful to just be able to do things I love everyday, to see my family, or even just crack a joke. That being said, I only ask to be respected. Don't blow smoke up my butt or push me too far out of ignorance or rudeness. I am not weak and I don't take well to a%#holes. I am a regular guy so I can imagine how this can be amplified for those professional athletes in the public eye. I've had the pleasure of meeting quite a few pros from all different sports and I can only say that some are very humble and laid back and some are egotistical and rude. These meetings prompted a 2 part blog on humility and ego, so first lets talk being humble.<br> <br/> Because of who I am I never mistaken kindness for weakness. Case and point Kenny Florian. I had the pleasure of meeting him recently and he was very cool. I work also as a doorman at an upscale nightclub in Miami and "Ken Flo" happened to stop by. He at no point demanded any special treatment and at the end of the night went out of his way to stop by and take a pic. He is a big name in the fight world and he acted as if he was just another Joe on the street. Just so you know for those not familiar with him. Kenny Florian is a beast in the octogan and he will smash you if you happen to be on the other side of the cage from him. It was really cool to meet a big name with a humble attitude. I don't expect everyone to be or act the same but I will express on the ground level that people don't appreciate conceit. If you're blessed enough to live your dream and earn money and a living from that, you should feel honored to be recognized. People work their fingers to the bone and save money to order these expensive pay per views or go to see the fights live. Fighters should be humble when they meet fans because without them there is no big money, house, or car to brag about. Ego is next so stay tuned. </p> <br/> <div style='clear: both; text-align: center; font-size: xx-small;'>Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.2</div>


Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.2

1 comment:

  1. I would never consider humility to be a weakness. Actually, the opposite is true. To me humility is evidence of someone's true character and strength, especially for the ones who have been provided with a God-given talent in one way or the other. To still remain humble and grounded, when a million people want to tell you how great and wonderful you are takes real strength... it's easy to get caught up in the hype and unfortunately many do and let their flawed character show when they reach the level of fortune and fame. Yet, humility is an admirable and respectable characteristic and definitely a must for anyone I keep in my small circle. Even on another level, humility is a hidden strength in a way. As Master Sun Tzu states in The Art of War "Use humility to make them haughty." When you're humble, others who may not know any better can perceive that as a weakness and will underestimate you and your strengths as a result. Once they do, relax, and stop paying close attention to you is when you got them. So genuine humility can even be an unbeknownst strategy for the octagon, the ring, or even life in general.

    ReplyDelete