Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Lose.. Lose.. Win!

Hi guys, hope you are all doing well. I am so stoked about the Cubs winning after 108 years without a championship I can barely contain myself. Its such an amazing feeling overcoming the obstacles that present themselves but in this case it was on a world stage.  However many times this team has tried to achieve its ultimate goal it failed and though the rosters have changed innumerable times the results remained the same until now. So this blog will piggyback off that and give some insight into the truth of competition and perception.
      In my second Muay Thai fight I showed up with confidence and ran into my opponent whom I had met a few months before when I won. He asked me if I had been training, I replied, "a little",  I might have been being smug. Either way he gave me a shellacking. He later explained that he and his coaches were watching me in the last fight and knew that I liked to throw a lot of hooks so they were ready to counter with straight punches and forward movement. I had realized something that I didn't know before and it was that this wasn't going to be easy and I had to learn more because as it stood I didn't know anything other than a straight will beat a hook. So the process of studying began.
     
   I started doing Jiu-jitsu because it was a natural progression for me and ideas of MMA had been bouncing around my brain for a while. First I did no gi which I was successful in and completed and won then I switched to gi and as a white belt I continued to have some success then again came the wake up call. My name gets called I am prepared for a fight I am a blue belt now. I am just not afraid of my opponents at this point having competed in both Muay Thai and Jiu-jitsu already I am just ready to fight. I quickly secured a takedown, a Judo throw called an Ouchi-gari. With the top position I tried to pass his guard without any luck. As time expired he swept me and win with an advantage point. I have endured this in a few different ways in Jiu-jitsu as well as some poor judging and at least one draw in Muay Thai. So what does that mean in layman's terms?.. It means that the Instagram posts showing an athlete with medals and trophies is only the fun part of the story.
          Accomplishments for fighters are measured in the public perception by how many  awards are won and in what organizations and how much money was made. I will contend that to fighters accomplishments can be measured by time spent catching bruises and nagging injuries in the gym, by the number of times we are made to tap and submit to our training partners on the mats and by the mental and emotional struggles that have to be put in check just to show up every day. We sacrifice friendships, jobs, and stability to get some real connection to life. A win is not a result of what is done in the ring or in a tournament time period. A win is a consolidation of everything that it took just to get to the point of the competition as well as the competition itself. Losses on the other hand are the stepping stones to having a hand raised win the bell sounds but also a revealing look at the character of a fighter.
         The perception is so much more appealing than the reality. Likes on a picture or a post are awesome and they feel great to get the support but the time difference between a loss and a win can feel like 108 years. I have lost and lost and eventually won and as proud as I am of the winning I am just as proud of the ability to endure the agony along the way. Define us by the depth of our resolve because what you might not know is that the majority of don't make money but actually pay for the chance to compete, to challenge our very spirit.
        

No comments:

Post a Comment