Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Glory 11 and Out of the shadow epilogue

Ringside view of Glory 11
Hello all, I have really enjoyed writing this blog and because of that learning more and more about myself as it pertains to martial arts of any kind. I have come to the realization lately that things are finally changing for the better at least in the world of kickboxing. I was blessed with tickets to Glory 11 in Chicago from my awesome fiance as you might have read in the previous blog. I was absolutely stoked for the fight card and couldn't believe I was going to there. My buddy Jorge and I talked it up everyday at the gym. We probably made everyone sick but we knew it was going to be a great show.
Hooked up with hoodies
       Now the funny thing about teaching, fighting, and just being around kickboxing everyday all day is that you forget that it's not hugely popular in the states. After seeing and experiencing what I did while in Chicago I know in my heart that that is about to change. First off let me say that we had no idea where the seats were until we arrived and realized that we are sitting front row behind the red corner and every fighter had to leave walking past us. Then I noticed that Joe Schilling, the winner of the Glory 10 tournament and one of my favorite fighters was sitting 2 seats over. I struck up a
conversation and he was nice enough to take a picture and shoot the shit.
Me and Joe Schilling
We were close enough to hear everything being said in the corners and hear every punch and kick land with thunderous thuds and slaps. After an early knockout, the winning fighter celebrated with us and his cornermen gave Jorge and I their sweatshirts. It was an electric night! The crowd was into it , the fighters were performing at the highest levels. There might have been 4 or 5 decisions out of 14 fights. Glory as well as Lion fights are waking up the masses to a sport that is as exciting as anything on television. And ultimately that is the key...Television. Glory 11 aired on Spike and Jorge and I were even receiving text messages that they saw us celebrating a knockout. It was absolutely incredible.
Cool ass Errol Zimmerman
       I have been fortunate enough to have gone to a lot of sporting events. NBA, MLB, NCAA(basketball and football),NHL, Boxing, Bellator...etc and this ranks as high as they come for an event. Even better were the fans, nobody screaming racial slurs or obscenities and no fights in the stands. Hopefully with the introduction into the mainstream that won't change. Anyway, the most awesome thing about the show was that all of the fighters were accessible. Errol Zimmerman chopped it up with us and even told us after Rico Verhoeven won the Heavyweight tournament that, "watch, i'm gonna knock him out again", referencing their last fight.  No big entourages keeping fans away, they were willing to sign autographs and have a conversation. They were down for their fans.
       I can only say that it was an absolute blast and that finally Muay Thai and Glory are getting their just reward for being so damn exciting. No worry about lay and pray fighters in a sport that allows you to get swept to the floor but then makes you stand back up and defend yourself. Btw, that's not an MMA diss, the last UFC card was sick and I absolutely miss Jiu Jitsu, but that's another story. For the record the trip and show was better than I could have possibly imagined and I can't wait to go again.

Out of the shadow: Epilogue

Lloyd Sr. and I
      Something else happened in Chicago, dinner with senior. It went amazingly well. He was humble and very cool. His fiance was awesome and we took steps to start a much needed dialogue. Since then we've been in touch and trying to stay on each others radar. This is a good beginning and I look forward to continuing this as we move into the future. Life has a way of  offering you different paths to follow and allowing you to make the decisions on which ones to take.Some times life offers the same path twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment